Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Web According to Google #85: Resistance is Futile

1) I use Google for searching and that includes web, images, video, Google Books, Google Scholar, maps, and news. The Google Books and Scholar features have come in really handy for interlibrary loan research as I have often found items for free online through these products and been able to save the expense of ILL. Obvs I use Blogger (as in right now), and I use Docs--I've used Docs since library school as a way for teams to be able to group write papers remotely. I also use Gmail for no other reason than it was trendy to get a gmail account ages ago and I don't want to have to change my email address and notify all of my friends of a change.

2)As for Google Labs, Image Swirls and City Tours looked cool and worth playing with. Something I will *definitely* use that I'd not noticed for that is not a beta is the Google Patent Search. How did I not know they had that!?!?

3)Like I mentioned above, I've been using Google Books for a while. It's a great resource to look into before requesting ILL (along with Project Gutenberg), and it's important to note that even though it's "Google *Books*," it has magazines too! The browse feature is addictive, btw. And yes, they had the book I experimented w/: Thus Spoke Zarathustra!

No comments: