Friday, November 14, 2008

Week 10!!!!!!!

iHCPL was a great learning experience and a lot of fun. I particularly enjoyed playing with and learning about Flickr and photo editing with Picnik (I hadn’t really done all that much with digital pictures before). Blogging was something that I was already quite familiar with, but this program really expanded my knowledge about it, including introducing me to cool sites like Technorati.

Another thing that I’ll take away from this experience is a new found devotion to Del.icio.us. I had used it in the past and then sort of forgotten about it, but becoming reacquainted with it has sparked my interest, and I now find myself using it every day.

On a practical level, becoming better acquainted with Overdrive has been useful in my day to day work, and it helps me provide better customer service in the library. Although, I do wish it would work with my iPod! :) Also, I was not familiar with podcast search engines prior to doing the 23 Things program, and I believe that this also could come in handy some day in providing good customer service in the library.

In the future, I plan to continue learning more about Wikis. I feel like I got a good introduction during the program, but I’ve begun building my own and am working with tools available at PBwiki on developing my knowledge in this area.

Overall, I feel like this was a very positive learning experience. I appreciated how many of the lessons had obvious ties to real-world applications, and I certainly appreciated the focus on fun. I also liked that it was self-paced, and I had no problem fitting the bite-sized lessons in with my day to day activities.

No comments: